Whether you want to lose weight naturally or maintain weight loss after coming off of GLP-1 injections, below are some helpful tips.
GLP-1 (Glucagon-like peptide-1) is naturally produced in the intestines. It’s released in response to food intake and stimulates insulin production, among other functions. Increasing GLP-1 levels naturally can be beneficial for managing blood sugar levels and promoting overall health. Here are some ways to naturally increase GLP-1:
- Eat High-Fiber Foods: Consuming foods rich in fiber, such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts, can help stimulate GLP-1 release. Fiber slows down digestion, which gives your body more time to release GLP-1 in response to food intake.
- Consume Protein: Including lean sources of protein in your meals can also stimulate GLP-1 release. Foods like fish, poultry, tofu, and legumes can be good choices.
- Choose Healthy Fats: Healthy fats, such as those found in avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil, can have a positive impact on GLP-1 release. However, moderation is key, as fats are calorie-dense.
- Avoid Refined Carbohydrates: Highly processed and refined carbohydrates can lead to rapid spikes in blood sugar levels and may not stimulate adequate GLP-1 release. Opt for complex carbohydrates with a lower glycemic index instead.
- Regular Physical Activity: Engaging in regular exercise, especially aerobic activities like walking, jogging, or cycling, can help increase GLP-1 levels. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking enough water throughout the day is important for overall health and can also support healthy hormone production, including GLP-1.
- Mindful Eating: Pay attention to your eating habits and practice mindful eating. Slow down your meals, savor the flavors, and eat in a calm environment. This can improve the hormonal response to food intake, including GLP-1 release.
- Get Enough Sleep: Poor sleep can disrupt hormonal balance, including GLP-1 levels. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep per night to support your overall health.
- Manage Stress: Chronic stress can negatively impact hormone production and regulation. Engage in stress-reduction techniques such as meditation, deep breathing, yoga, or spending time in nature.
- Small, Frequent Meals: Eating smaller, balanced meals throughout the day can help maintain steady blood sugar levels and potentially enhance GLP-1 release compared to large, infrequent meals.
Remember that individual responses to these strategies may vary, and it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional before making significant changes to your diet or lifestyle, especially if you have underlying health conditions or are taking medications. If you are looking for a more natural approach to weight loss with customized support, please schedule an appointment today.